Wednesday 28 August 2013

A Few Of My Favourite Things


During the week I find it difficult to find time for knitting. I manage to get a bit done every evening while we watch telly, but I don't have the time to do much. Because of this I don't have much knitting to post about at the moment, but I do have a new one of my regular features to start: A Few Of My Favourite Things.

Today I'm talking about book-films.

I'm currently reading 'A Town Like Alice' by Nevil Shute:


I'm halfway through and it is brilliant so far. 

I love books that are made into films, it just proves how good they are...



The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie, an amazing book introduced to me by Miffy and one that has to be read more than once. The film is amazing as well, I mean you can't really beat Dame Maggie (first name terms). It is so hard to obtain a copy of this film on DVD for the 'region' that works in the UK though!!!


The Harry Potter series (Harry Potter geek and proud). The books are amazing, need to reread them soon; the films are wonderful. Both the books and the films were a significant part of my childhood and teenage years (cheesey cliché, do I care?) and JK Rowling has the ability to make me cry when she does interviews and speeches.


Pride and Prejudice, yes I chose the Kiera Knightly cover as it is one of my favourite films. Soz, Collin Firth. I read the book for English at school but thoroughly enjoyed it despite the well known fact that it is almost impossible to enjoy a book that you are forced to read. The film is one I have watched thousands of times and after googling the film poster just now I really want to watch it again soon.


The Great Gatsby - I cheated and went to see the film before I finished the book because I couldn't resist. We went to a retro picture house cinema in Newcastle, it was the perfect place to see that film in particular.

And of course: The Princess Bride. This is one of my favourite books and films. It's brilliant in every way; what more could you want from a book, as Peter Falk says at the start of the film it has got 'fencing, fighting, torture, revenge, giants, monsters, chases, escapes, true love, miracles...'

So those are a few of my favourite book-to-film adaptations. There are loads more out there that I probably haven't thought of today, maybe I'll do a repeat of this post one day with some more in.

No comments:

Post a Comment